Saturday, June 22, 2013

Lentil Unit Study - Five in a Row FIAR


Lentil is a great story about a boy with a special talent who uses it for good. It reminds us all that we have certain God-given talents and we should use them for good rather than being jealous of others and wishing we had their talents or being discontent when we don't have what we'd like. This is an area I struggle with myself, so Lentil is a book that spoke to me and I know Little Princess will enjoy it.

As with all of my unit planning this year, I started with a simple list in Word that was categorized with subjects and I began by cutting and pasting general ideas, divided themes into subjects and such.

Then I went to Pinterest, my all time favorite time-zapper, and looked for specific ideas, projects, crafts, recipes, science experiments, etc. I record those items in my Literature Unit Study Planner. This post (and most of my posts this summer) is a collection of those items.



Of course, this will be followed by actual plotting out our week on a weekly plan sheet, which I'll show in a later post because I haven't gotten that far yet.

Without further ado... here we go:

Lentil Themes: 

Ohio, harmonica, using talents for good, lemon, 5 Senses: taste and hearing, American Flag, pledge of allegiance,  communities, occupations

 Bible Verse: 

Proverbs 18:16 “A man’s gift makes room for him and brings him before great men. “

Go-Alongs:

 




There are several mini books and worksheets in the Lentil lapbook and unit study from Homeschool Share. We'll be using elements for Social Studies, Language (copywork and vocabulary), and Math (worksheets/story problems)




I've also purchased the Ohio state mini lapbook at CurrClick to satisfy our Geography part of the study. I love these mini lapbooks from Fortunately For You Books. They are full of information, easy to put together, attractive and can be glued into your larger lapbook or notebook. Highly recommend for adding a state study to any FIAR unit.


Science:

We'll be doing tasting and hearing activities from Science Experiments for Young Learners.

Cooking:

What would a FIAR row be without food? I found this great looking cake on Michelle's blog, Delightful Learning.


As a matter of fact, you should check out here entire Lentil row. Her rows are always so good and this one's no exception.

Additional activities:



1. Play a harmonica
2. Listen to harmonica music  on YouTube
3. Watch Washington DC National Monuments videos
4. Listen to the “Star Spangled Banner” 
5. Sing “She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain”

(I haven't narrowed down the specific videos we'll use yet, but I'll add them when I do)

I'm sure there's plenty more great ideas for this wonderful book. I'd love to hear yours. Do you have 
any plans for rowing Lentil that you'd like to share? 




  




No comments:

Post a Comment