Friday, January 18, 2013

President's Day Unit Study


 

I'm looking forward to doing a President's day unit with my K and 6th grade kiddos. My units work a little differently than most. Rather than planning out a whole week or two of study, I just gather everything in a folder/basket and they pick which things they want to do when. I'll include hands on activities, books, coloring pages, written activities such as lapbooks, history pockets, etc.

I'll also include links to videos and websites that have other related fun stuff on them. I don't require them to do everything, but I want to spark an interest in the subject by being able to do the things that interest them first. Toward the end of the unit, when it looks like their excitement has waned, I will go through and choose leftover things that I wanted them to do, but they didn't pick. Clear as mud?? Here we go.

PRESIDENT's DAY UNIT:


Books:


 
You might also check out this week's free resource Firm Reliance at CurrClick. I haven't read it, but it looks interesting if you are wanting to explore the Judeo-Christian roots of the Founders. 
In addition to reading books, we'll do some hands on activities. I thought these 3 D puzzles looked cool. I especially like the clothespin presidents. How fun! After we do the President's Day unit, I'm looking forward to a US Symbols unit, so I went ahead and included these presidential monument activities no. I figured this might spark some interest in the next unit before they get there. I'll try whatever I can, you know?
We'll build a log cabin with Lincoln Logs, we'll explore Mount Rushmore by build a model and then making clothespin presidents to learn which presidents are included on the Mount. Some 3D puzzles looked fun. 
Hand on activities:       
 

Videos:

We have this video series and it is a great resource for your whole family to learn more about all of the Presidents.

I found this video about Abraham Lincoln made by Disney on YouTube. They also have videos for many other presidents.

For those of you who like David Barton and Wallbuilders, check out this American Heritage video, not exactly for President's Day, but it does talk about the founders, including George Washington. 

Extras:

Over at Classroom Magic there are a few free activities to do

There's a great blog post showing a President's Day lapbook over at Homeschool Creations

More lapbook resources can be found at the following (click on the pictures to go to the website)















Below is a free lapbook for the book "Abe Lincoln, The Boy Who Loved Books"

 

Thera are so many other resources out there, but this should give you a good start. Be sure to leave me a comment below to let me know what you're doing for President's Day with your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment