Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Days, Months, and Years Unit

We're learning about the days, weeks, months and seasons in a year. The spine of this study is a free lapbook I found over at Teachers Pay Teachers called All in a Year. This little lapbook has mini books for days in a week, special days in each month, writing the month names, what I do in my day, etc. It's a great resource. 

To bring some literature into our unit, I've chosen the following books: 



I like the Calendar Notebook printables over at one of my favorite blogs,  Homeschool Creations. You just print them out, place in your own binder and you have a great resource to do calendar time with your young'uns. Place the pages in sheet protectors and use dry erase markers if you want to reuse the pages. You could also use vis a vis markers that are wet erase and stay put when dry. They're great for things you don't want to rub off before you're done with them. 
We sing our fun days of the week song to the tune of Adams Family theme song:
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Days of the week, days of the week,
Days of the week (snap, snap)
There's Sunday and there's Monday,
There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday,
There's Thursday and there's Friday
And then there's Saturday.
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Days of the week, days of the week,
Days of the week (snap, snap)
Then there's our Months of the year song sung to the tune of Ten Little Indians:
January, February, March and April,
May, June, July and August,
September, October, November, December,
These are the months of the year. 
Here are some more fun printables I found:
Season Fun pocket chart activity
 
Here's a great 4 seasons craft and see how to make a seasons collage here.
 
I'm working on a Winter unit and a Weather unit, incorporating some great books and activities. I'll post those when I have them ready. Until then, I hope you have some calendar fun with your kiddos.
Have you found any great resources to use for calendar, seasons, winter or weather? I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment and share what you've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment