Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To Plan or Not to Plan


I, by nature, am a planner. I like to plan everything. There are lists upon lists upon lists in notebooks, on sticky notes, in my documents folder on my laptop. Being a homeschooling mom of 3, you can only imagine what I make lists about. What am I going to teach my kindergartener next year? There’s a list for that. What will I do for my co-op classes next fall? I have a list for that. What decluttering projects do I need to complete? There’s a list for that. What are we going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the next month? There’s a list for that, too. 

Lists are not bad. In fact, they’re downright useful, especially for a mom who has such difficult time staying on track as I do. However, I find that making lists tends to be an escape for me. Planning is fun. Doing what I’ve planned, not so much. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy doing many of the things I plan, but when I’ve planned it all out, there’s always stuff that doesn’t get done and I end up focusing on what’s NOT done rather than what IS accomplished. 

When I DON’T list it all out on paper, there’s still stuff that doesn’t get done, but there’s no BLACK AND WHITE proof of my lack of productivity and I’m free to simply enjoy what I’m doing at the moment, focusing only on that one thing at a time. 

There has to be a middle ground here, but my personality is so given to extremes. My hope is that, with God’s help, my priorities will become HIS priorities for me and I’ll just be able to focus on HIS leading in my days, planning where need be, but not to excess.

Proverbs 16:9 – “A man's heart plans his way: but the LORD directs his steps.”

No comments:

Post a Comment