WEEK 1 - INTRO TO BLOOD AND CIRCULATION
- Watch a Bill Nye video about blood and circulation from the library.
- Create a model of the blood using corn syrup, red hot candies, white jelly beans, and rice, to show that blood is not solid red, but actually clear plasma that appears red because of the presence of red blood cells
- Printout that shows what the cells look like under a microscope to add to notebook
- Coloring book from the Red Cross here. This is a really great little book that gives some interesting historical facts regarding blood and the Red Cross. It's reproductions of Red Cross posters for you to color, along with historical tidbits. Very cute.
- Coloring pages from My First Human Body Coloring Book to take home and add to notebook
- Games to play online here
- Videos to view at home:
We'll do some fun experiments about blood types:
- Blood Type Compatibility Experiment from lessonplanspage.com
- We'll find out our own blood types using blood typing kits from Home Science Tools
- We'll go over the circulatory system in our study guide from ellenjmchenry.com
Some helpful resources for this unit:
Here's a video from Newton's Apple about blood typing
Come back next week for the remainder of our fun circulatory system unit!